At the meeting Thursday, Nov. 3, at 6 pm in the auditorium of the Chula Vista Library at 365 F Street, Mike McCoy spoke on the history of the Tijuana River Estuary.
At the meeting Thursday, July 21, in the auditorium of the Chula Vista Library at 365 F Street, Dick Pennick, historian for the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association, spoke on the history of the NC&O Railroad.
At our meeting on April 21 at 6 pm in the Chula Vista Library auditorium, Patrick Bilbray, Imperial Beach councilman, and his father, former IB mayor and U.S. Representative Brian Bilbray, spoke on the plans being made for the celebration of the city's 60th Anniversary during the city's Sun and Sea Festival weekend starting July 15. Dick Pennick had planned to speak at our April 21 meeting about the NC&O railroad, but due to a family matter he has had to postpone to a future date.
The Centennial of the 1916 Flood will be the topic of our next meeting and the theme of the inaugural exhibit of the Heritage Museum in the Chula Vista Civic Library on F Street. announcement
Our fall meeting was held Thursday, Oct. 22, at 5 pm at the Bonita Museum and Cultural Center. Richard Carrico spoke on the topic "Kumeyaay on the Coast." - announcement
Our summer meeting was held at the Swiss Club, 2001 Main Street, Chula Vista, on Tuesday, July 21, at 6 pm. David Egger spoke on "Farming in the Tijuana River Valley." - announcement
Michael Pallamary spoke on the history of our border with Mexico at our meeting April 16, at 6 pm in the Chula Vista Public Library auditorium at 365 F Street.
Laura Charles spoke at our meeting Jan. 22, 2015, and told many tales of her many years as a teacher at Sweetwater High School. She spoke of the importance of Guy Hutchins, first superintendent of the new Sweetwater Unified School District in 1922. Hutchins was the uncle of South Bay Historical Society member Pat Wagner. Also at this meeting it was reported with great sadness that Society Treasurer Pattie Frazer passed away just a few days earlier, the result of a fall during her recent trip to Arizona.
At the meeting Nov. 17, 2014, in the Chula Vista Public Library Auditorium, several business resolutions were passed. Barbara Zaragoza was voted to the Board of Directors that now include Pattie Frazer, David Neffew Harry Orgovan, Mitch Beauchamp, Patti Huffman, Peter Watry, Steve Schoenherr, and Barbara. Officers elected for 2015 were Steve Schoenherr, President; Harry Orgovan, Vice-President; and Pattie Frazer Secretary/Treasurer. Annual dues of $20 per person were approved. Payment of the 100% tax-deductible dues may be made by cash or check at meetings or by mail to: SBHS, P. O. Box 742 Chula Vista CA 91912. Also, an Endowment Fund was established to support the preservation of historical sites. We are grateful to Patti Huffman and Susan Fuller for their generous donations to this fund. Our speaker for this meeting was Dr. Floyd Larry Wergeland who told of his family from Norway, homesteading in Montana, serving as an ophthalmologist at several Army Medical Centers and in Saudi Arabia, working at the Eye Physicians Center in Chula Vista, and contributing to the development of the Living Coast Discovery Center where he has been involved since 1996 as a docent and contributing to the construction of the Aviary Support Building and the Wergeland Shark and Ray Exhibit and Discovery Center. For more on the history of the Center, see the exhibit on Gunpowder Point History.
The meeting Sept. 29, 2014, in the Chula Vista Public Library Auditorium featured "open mic" discussions from members in the audience.
At Harborfest on Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014, we shared a booth with Harry Orgovan's Kayak.
The field trip to the National City Railroad Depot was Sunday, July 27, 2014, at 2 pm. The depot is located at 922 W. 23rd Street, the same building and location when it was built in 1882. It is the oldest original train depot on the West Coast, and a California State Historic Landmark. For those who were interested in having lunch, we met at 12:30 pm at the nearby Pier 32 Waterfront Grill, 3201 Marina Way in National City.
At the meeting on May 19, 2014, about 40 were in attendance to hear Lowell Blankfort speak on his experiences as owner and editor of the Star-News local newspaper in the 1960s and 1970s. For additional information on Lowell see the May Bulletin #3 online in the Bulletins section of our website. For the history of the Star-News, see Newspapers of the South Bay.
At the meeting on March 24, 2014, about 50 were in attendance and voted to pass the Bylaws that will be submitted with our application to become a nonprofit corporation. Peter Watry spoke on the historical significance of Fort Emory, from its early days as a Navy radio station to its role in harbor defense during World War II. For additional information on this topic, see Chronology of Military Bases in the South Bay. A number of questions were asked about Coronado Heights which was taken over by the Navy in 1942 for the establishment of Fort Emory. Several historical maps that illustrate the location of Coronado Heights from 1888 to 1942 have been added to the Maps section.
At the meeting on Jan. 27, 2014, about 25 folks were in attendance and voted to organize as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. A committee was formed to start the organization process, including Patricia Huffman, Mitch Beauchamp, Peter Watry and Steve Schoenherr. This committee will serve as the required "Board of Directors" to form a nonprofit corporation. At the start of the meeting, our Mission Statement was presented by Susan Walter. The definition of the South Bay was presented by Steve Schoenherr with a map of the several communities that are part of this region. Peter Watry presented several financial options, and it was voted to postpone the collection of any dues at the present time. Volunteers were asked to help Harry Orgovan and Steve Schoenherr with the writing and printing of a monthly bulletin.
Copyright © 2016 by South Bay Historical Society