Paradise Valley Sanitarium

JSDH article page 173
The Paradise Valley Sanitarium was built in 1888 on Mount Paradise at Euclid and 8th Street by Dr. Anna M. Longshore Potts, a relative of the wife of William Burgess, founder of the National City Record newspaper in 1882. Due to drought, it closed in 1895 and was sold in 1904 to Ellen White of the Seventh-Day Adventist church. A well was dug by Salem Hamilton who found water and proclaimed "The Lord would not give us an elephant without providing water for it to drink." The Sanitarium reopened in 1906 and became famous nation-wide as a health resort.
Map | Next
Paradise Valley Hospital moved in 1967 to its current location at 2400 East 4th Street.

revised 4/20/08 by Schoenherr | National City | Map | San Diego Local History